Saturday, May 2, 2020

Rudaali. 22.04.2020

R for Rudaali

I sit at a strange place
It is neither inside
Nor outside the home
I hang my head in shame
For I am the untouchable
Whose body was ravished
While the soul soared
I am neither a wife
Nor a whore to speak of
I am that secret that
Everyone knows
But will not talk about
My lover’s body is being made ready 
For the last rites - to cremate
Only I will not see him
For one last time
Because I am the untouchable
But mind you when I cry
It will drown your safe world away
But It will also wash away your sins

Rudaali is a sort of clan in the state of Rajasthan in India - women mourners. When they hear the news of death nearby, they reach the home of the deceased and start to cry. They are professional mourners paid to make the family's grief appear more real. Also, their collective wailing sounds off nearby that a death has occurred. 

No comments:

Post a Comment